View Single Post
Old 23rd February 2018, 09:23 AM
Cult Addict

Mad dog killer

One of two Italian crime flicks I watched and fell asleep to, not through any fault of either film but simple random insomnia from the night before. This one was good enough from what I saw to get me to watch it again.

Anyway...

Helmut Berger is on fine form as Nanni Vitali. An utter psycho who escapes prison with three other convicts. Instead of lying low until the heat dies down Vitali goes on a bit of a rampage, kidnapping the man who testified against him and his girlfriend for a bit of rape/torture before sticking the rat in a hole in the ground and covering him with Lye while he's still alive. Richard Harrison plays police commissioner Giulio Santini, a tough by the books cop assigned to take this nutter down and the pair begin to play a game of cat and mouse with plenty of casualties along the way.
Mad dog killer is well worth seeking out. Its a lean, mean and fairly nasty cops & robbers Poliziotteschi. It cracks along at an entertaining pace and has an infectious theme song that you'll struggle to get out of your head afterwards. For me its also one of Bergers best roles in the genre, he's really damned good here as the maniacal Vitali who would rather settle scores than get away.