View Single Post
Old 24th February 2018, 10:03 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

This piece sums up the Curse picture quality very nicely.

Quote:
An even more contentious issue is the quality of the HD transfer itself. The Warner Brothers DVD seemed to employ heavy use of Digital Noise Reduction techniques and sometimes seemed to possess a slightly unnaturally enhanced and brightened tinge which had been applied during its colour grading. This HD transfer, overseen by Deluxe, seems to recapture a more authentic-looking colour scheme, consistent with Jack Asher’s original wishes and, especially in the laboratory scenes, his contrasts in lighting and its use with intense colour combinations comes across very satisfactorily. Yet the transfer does seem very soft, in places much more so that the Warner Bros. DVD of ten years ago! There has been much debate, comment and discussion of this transfer and about the matting issues elsewhere online, and I won’t rehearse all the various positions and speculations about it here; it’s clear though that this doesn’t come across and hasn’t been received as a particularly spectacular example of the HD format, and that the boosted contrast sometimes seems to have bleached out the detail in some sequences especially early on, although in the main this isn’t a persistent problem. It is true though that there is, at best, only a marginal difference noticeable between the Blu-ray version and the DVD versions of the film that’s also included in the set; at the moment it seems the original negative couldn’t be rendered any more successfully in HD than we’re seeing here, and this is the tentative conclusion until such time as other Blu-ray releases of the film start to emerge for comparison.
I aim to get it at some point for the commentary by Hearn and Rigby and the new half hour doc. I already have The Four Sided Triangle. At least Curse is init's correct aspect ratio of 1:37:1