View Single Post
Old 11th March 2018, 08:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Gringo

Harold Soyinka is a mild mannered and somewhat naive middle manager at a big pharma company. He's slowly drowning in debt because of his wife and he's slowly realising he may soon be losing his job. His bosses Elaine Markinson and Richard Rusk. played by Joel Edgerton and a gleefully nasty Charlize Theron have developed a cannabis pill. While waiting for Cannabis laws in the U.S. to liberalise they've been selling it under the counter to the local cartels. Unwittingly Harold has been acting as a middle man to this and when things begin to fall apart Harold goes off the deep end, faking a kidnapping that soon becomes real and triggering off a set of events that will change his life for ever.
Gringo has a plot that has been described by Critics as 'muddled'. I managed to follow it but its does have its twists and turns. The easiest way to sum it up I suppose is to look back at the sort of films the American indie circuit was turning out in the 90's after Pulp Fiction became a hit. This feels exactly like one of those movies. Though to be fair its more 2 days in the valley than destiny turns on the radio. I liked it. I didn't love it. Its got its fair share of brutality and also plenty of humour. It never felt boring at any point and David Oyelowo as Harold really holds things together. Its an Amazon studios production and didn't get much promotion leading me to think they just wanted it to have a week in theatres to get the critics reviews out there before putting it on Amazon streaming. I don't regret paying £4.99 to see it but it is worth considering it'll be streaming sooner or later.
I honestly thought this got released somewhat middle of last year , I've been with Sam 9months and I'm pretty sure I saw it advertised well before I met her .