View Single Post
Old 14th March 2018, 06:31 AM
Cult Addict

Annihilation

A meteor crashes into a lighthouse in Florida. It creates a strange, growing field of energy called the shimmer that seems to affect all biological organisms within it. Naturally the U.S. government is a little concerned over this and has been sending in teams. Natalie Portman plays Lena whose husband Kane, played by Oscar Issac has been missing in the shimmer for a year. One night he returns in a seemingly confused state before falling ill. The government seize the pair and Lena is offered the chance to enter the shimmer with a team of women in order to try and reach the centre. The team comprised of all women because all previous teams that failed were comprised of men. Scientifically then the rationale is that by changing one key aspect of the study they can see how or if this affects the results.
I won't say much more about the films plot. I would suggest giving it a go though. Unlike Mute I honestly thought this should have appeared in cinema's but at the same time I can understand why some people thought it was a bit too smart. Its definitely the sort of film you either get into or you don't. In terms of influences Solaris, Stalker, 2001 and Carpenters The Thing probably rank highly, as would under the skin to a lesser extent. Its got a strange, oppressive tone to it with all the characters being messed up in one way or the other. It seems to use Cancer and cancer treatment as a metaphor for whats going on and it talks a bit about humans capacity for self destruction. Love it or hate it, studio's don't often make films like this these days.