View Single Post
Old 18th March 2018, 12:53 AM
Cult Addict

I ended up watching two films this week that were totally slated on their release, i think there must be something wrong with me as when something is so badly panned i have a perverse desire to watch it.

Ghostbusters

11257299-1254434265707285.jpg

I really didn't mind this, i love the original but have never really enjoyed the second film so to me this was more entertaining than that one.
I thought i would hate the new characters but thought they were o.k with the stand out one being the tech geek who invented the equipment.

The plot basically covers much of the same ground as the original, but not as well done. There are small cameo's from all of the original Ghostbusters, and although it never reaches the heights it could have i nevertheless found it a reasonably entertaining way to spend a bit of time.

6/10

Fantastic 4

91XwBZLEFYL._SY445_.jpg

This was on Ch 4 tonight so i thought why not, i'm not a big comic reader anymore and have never been a f4 fanboy so i can only go on the film i saw.
I'd heard the film was disjointed and badly edited but what i sat down to watch was no worse than a lot of Hollywood films, at first anyway.
The leads were a lot more likeable than i expected (although the Thing and the Human torch really didn't get fleshed out well as characters.), the story concentrated on the team creating a teleport device that sends them to another dimension, which results in their powers.

The film was darker than i expected and the powers seemed like a curse at first, with them being experimented on by the government and being used as weapons.

In one scene mr stretch escapes along a tunnel reminding me of that Tooms 'X files' episode, another scene where the torch wakes up screaming and in flames was interesting too.

Also i liked the scene where Dr Doom is walking along a corridor making peoples heads explode like something out of 'Scanners'.

The downside was that the end did feel like a different film from the slow scientific build up of the first half and it does seem that this is down to studio interference, with shit flying about and it also felt too rushed.

Overall, watchable but not fantastic. 6/10

I think both of these films were victims of 'fans' reactions that they weren't what they expected or changed too much from the original concepts. (women ghostbusters 'gasp'/ younger F4 members and a black human torch.)

Neither are as bad as they were made out to be and are perfectly watchable.
Maybe it's something to do with having no expectations as to the films as i expected both to be terrible.

Personally i take film reviews with a pinch of salt,(only really listening to a few select reviewers whose viewpoints i generally agree with.) as all films are victims to the watchers personal tastes, a lot of films i didn't like have become favourites on rewatch when i was in a better mood to watch it.

So i try to sit down to watch a film without having knee jerk reactions and take them generally on whether i found them a chore to watch, which neither of these were, both had good and bad moments but i wasn't sat looking at my watch waiting for them to end.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.