View Single Post
Old 17th April 2018, 11:21 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

There are a number of films in your list (particularly Backdraft, Executive Decision, and Overboard) which I've only seen once, and quite a while ago. This will probably be another week of buying BDs or browsing Netflix and Prime Video to refresh my memory of those I've seen, and to watch those I haven't for the first time.

Thinking of Overboard, I read an article by Hadley Freeman at the weekend when she was saying how (Molly Ringwald inspired the thoughts with an article in The New Yorker) many 1980s films are 'problematic' when viewed with a 21st-century perspective, specifically with race and sexual politics. She absolutely adore's 1980s films and picked it as her favourite decade, but has this to say about Overboard:

The ultimate example of a story idea that should have been made as a horror film but was somehow instead written up as a romantic comedy. A handyman (Kurt Russell) lies to a woman with amnesia (Goldie Hawn) and tells her she is his wife just so she will clean his house, look after his kids and, ultimately, have sex with him. “Does she run in the opposite direction when she finds out the truth?” SPOILER! She does not. Russell and Hawn famously have one of the stablest relationships in Hollywood, so you have to wonder how they looked at this script and thought, “Yup, that seems normal – sign us up!”

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...n-hughes-metoo