View Single Post
Old 29th April 2018, 01:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I think the difference is that there seems to be a monopoly of superhero films where there's one out and constantly being hyped all year round. For example Black Panther is still in the US top 10, now along comes Infinity War. Then a month from now comes yet another one in the shape of Ant Man and Wasp.

I grant you many of them are in the good to very good range but the constant marketing i find annoying.

I agree that every film in the last thirty years has been made to be a cash cow, i'm sure every film ever made was probably done so in the hope it would make money for someone though.

I do think there is less variety as far as blockbusters go, whereas the 90's for example had the likes of Titanic, The Matrix, The Silence of the Lambs, Seven, Home Alone, LA Confidential, Wayne's World, The Truman Show, Braveheart, Men in Black, Pretty Woman, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Bram Stoker's Dracula - to name but a few, and all huge money spinners but there's a hell of a lot more variety there than constantly churning out Marvel, DC and Star Wars.
Agree. Think my real point was on the whole they aren't dreadful movies and for at least 40 years films have been made to make money there are the odd expections, most are pretty good but we do need a little more variety in our blockbusters as much as I love the superhero genre i can't see it being long before the bubble bursts but by then it will be something else.