View Single Post
Old 25th May 2018, 05:49 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Has any one been watching the BBC drama A Very English Scandal ???? about the Jeremy Thorpe scandal of the 1970's,Hugh Grant looks like he's doing an impression of Arthur Daley...but it looks interesting never the less...
I meant to set my V6 box to record that, but forgot. Presumably it will be on iPlayer so I can catch up over the weekend or a bit later.

I recently finished watching the first season of Westworld and will probably watch it again before binge watching the second season which I think finishes in about four weeks. I don't own the film that really like the way the TV show develops the story around the park's creation, the idea of consciousness, artificial intelligence, and the ethics and morality. I loved how it finished and am looking forward to watching it again.

The same goes for The Handmaid's Tale, an exceptionally well told and engrossing drama. I wasn't sure what to expect because the few images I'd seen made me expect a period drama. Is not that at all, but the film set in the US in the near future where the country has been devastated by environmental problems and an STD which rented most women sterile. It re-founded itself as Gilead, an authoritarian Christian Theonomy where criminals, homosexuals and adulterers can be publicly executed – it's like a Christian version of Saudi Arabia – and the most fertile women become the possessions of wealthy men whose wife is sterile.

Elisabeth Moss, who plays the main character Ofred (her owner is Commander Frederick Waters said, making her name denote she is his property) and, as in Mad Men is superb. The rest of the cast, including Joseph Fiennes, Yvonne Strahovski and Alexis Bledel is excellent, and the way the events move back and forward in time is very well turn and makes it compelling to watch. I anticipated watching it gradually over a week or so, but watched the entire series in three days; I'm recording the second season to do the same.

As a complete change of pace, I've since been watching the eighth (and most recent) season of Bob's Burgers, a show which never fails to make me laugh.