View Single Post
Old 27th May 2018, 12:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
I think HMV's Arrow promotion ends fairly soon. Went to my local store today and I chose 5 blu-rays for 30 pounds. Titles were Black Sabbath, Shock Treatment, Society, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 and Theatre of Blood. 6 quid each seems like a very fair price.

Have already watched Texas 2 (alone with headphones! As my wife only has patience/respect for the original film in this particular franchise) and am looking forward to checking out the others very soon before Shape of Water and Black Panther finally get UK release in a fortnight's time.

My wife wants to watch Bava's Black Sabbath tomorrow evening. The Arrow has both the Italian and US cuts. I don't know which to choose (previously I've only seen the US version). Any advice on which of the two cuts I should show her? btw Is it true that the Italian version has richer colours?
I would definitely go for the Italian cut. Not only does the AIP version cut up, censor and change the stories but it completely changes the sound design too. This is particularly so for the last and most effective story in the Italian version, The Drop of Water, where its subtle tone is replaced by a bombastic Les Baxter score in the US cut.

I always go for the original Italian versions of all Bava's films, as he envisioned them himself. They are ALL superior cuts in my book.

Last edited by Buboven; 27th May 2018 at 02:45 PM.