View Single Post
Old 27th May 2018, 05:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008)

Set in the future during a worldwide epidemic of organ failures, a biotech company, GeneCo, decides to organise organ transplant loans. Anyone failing to pay have their organs and their lives taken from them by hired killers called "Repo men".

This is maybe the third time I have seen this horror/musical and I dislike it more and more with every viewing. It has gained a cult status, and I cannot, for the life of me, understand why.

What's the most important thing about a musical? memorable, catchy songs, right?! Well, the songs here are boring and extremely forgettable. Anthony Head (Giles from Buffy_ is the only decent thing in this film. His performance and singing voice are pretty good. I'm fairly sure it's supposed to be funny in places, but again, it falls flat on its face.

It's directed by Darren Lynn Bousman, who directed a few entries in the infamous Saw series and you can easily tell. The violence is overly graphic at times (which doesn't necessarily bother me, but that's probably the main appeal of this film and the reason for its cult status), but the effects are pretty good.

All in all, it's far too long, far too boring and the songs are beyond annoying and for some strange, masochistic reason, this has been my third viewing of it ... oh, and Paris Hilton is in it! I know a lot of people enjoy this, so I'm glad they can see something in this that I can't. watch at your own risk. 4/10
Couldn't stand this film either, only watched it as my old flatmate liked it