View Single Post
Old 28th May 2018, 03:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Oculus

Attachment 204916

I'd heard a lot of good stuff about this film and seeing as i like Karen Gillan i decided to settle in last night and give this the once over.

i thought this was above average as a modern horror film, because it is pretty well acted and shot, but wasn't as impressed as i expected.

I liked Absentia by the same director when i saw it, and this was enjoyable as it played out but i found myself not that satisfied as the film ended.

Attachment 204917

Gillan is good but seems reserved compared to other stuff i'd seen her in, to me this felt because of the American accent she uses in this film, the idea is interesting and it was nice to see "Battlestar G's" Katie Sackhoff as the mother in a meaty role.

The problem i had was that the past/present blending elements took me out of the story, and although i appreciated that our understanding of events changes the more stuff is revealed over time, i found it a bit forced.

Also the "is this actually happening" aspect made the haunting less threatening somehow.

And the end i saw coming a mile off.

Overall 6.5 / 10
I'm in the same boat as you here. I genuinely did enjoy it, but it definitely didn't live up the hype. It was decent though.