View Single Post
Old 7th June 2018, 08:57 AM
Cult Master

So, Chloe recently had a job interview at Elephant And Castle, and I decided to tag along and visit the FOPP Shop in Covent Garden and do a bit of Doctor Who Location Filming sightseeing...

I came out Waterloo Station and turned left towards Waterloo Bridge. Just before reaching the bridge, I passed The South Bank Centre, which was extensively used in 'Frontier In Space' as the Earth prison where The Doctor and Jo were held captive

On Waterloo Bridge, I turned to my right, and saw The London Eye, The Queens Walk and Westminster Bridge, all of which featured in 'Rose'. The Bridge was also used in 'The Dalek Invasion Of Earth'. At the end of the Bridge, albeit covered in scaffold and tarpaulin was the clock tower of the Palace of Westminster, otherwise known as Big Ben, memorably destroyed by a spaceship in 'World War III'

Continuing straight ahead, along Wellington Street and Bow Street, which contains The Royal Opera House as seen in 'The War Machines' when Ban walks past it on his way to Covent Garden Market.

I then reached Long Acre and turned left, which was where the excitement started to mount.

Halfway along Long Acre is Covent Garden Underground Station. Although a studio set used during the filming of 'The Web Of Fear' instead of an actual location, it was still thrilling seeing it!

Opposite the station entrance are Old Brewers Yard, Shelton Street and Neal Street all of which were featured in the story during the fight between the UNIT soldiers and the Yeti

After a quick visit to FOPP, I moved down to Covent Garden Market, the location for both 'The War Machines', showing the hustle-and-bustle of the area before one of the machines arrives and also 'Invasion of The Dinosaurs', when it is used early in the story to show deserted London

It was them back to Long Acre, where I turned right to retrace my footsteps. When I reached the end, I continued walking into Great Queen Street, where a still photograph was used during a News announcement warning people to stay off the streets away from the 'The War Machines'

At the end of Great Queen Street, I turned right, and walked along Kingsway, which brought me almost opposite Australia House, which was seen in 'The Invasion' depicting a quiet area of London before the Cyberman invasion starts

As I returned to Waterloo Bridge, I passed Somerset House, which appeared in the Torchwood story 'Fragments' being used as stock footage, counting down to the new millennium

then back to the Station, over Waterloo bridge where The Doctor rode his motorcycle in 'The Bells Of St. John'

**NOTE - All pictures used are from stock. Sadly none of them were taken by me

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Last edited by Susan Foreman; 7th June 2018 at 10:01 AM.