View Single Post
Old 8th June 2018, 05:40 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default A Very English Scandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I watched the three episodes of A Very English Scandal, a retelling of the events around the Liberal MP Jeremy Thorpe, who had an (illegal homosexual) affair with Norman Scott. When their relationship ended and Scott continued to contact Thorpe and people around him, Thorpe did what any MP would do: he used his contacts to hire someone to kill Scott.

What happened after that is more Ealing comedy than political thriller, from the incompetent hitman to outrageous trail. It's probably best watched if you know very little about the events because it is a retelling of events which are moving, engrossing and absurd.

Hugh Grant and Ben Wishaw are superb as Jeremy Thorpe and Norman Scott, respectively, and there is an impressive supporting cast of great British character actors. The whole thing is available on iPlayer, so I highly recommend it to everyone who would like three hours of excellent TV drama to watch.

If and when you watch the series, you should definitely check out the documentary made in the late 1970s, The Jeremy Thorpe Scandal. It's a great companion piece and very important that Tom Mangold did not do what other journalists did at the time and destroy the video.
Ill be watching the third episode tonight myself,Ive really enjoyed this drama,well more like comedy of errors..Blake Harrison as the hitman was brilliant,especially like the bit where he goes to Dunstable instead of Barnstable...