View Single Post
Old 21st June 2018, 03:28 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Next you'll be tell us you don't like only fools and horse's!
Must admit that 'Only Fools And Horses' has never appealed to my sense of humour. I must have smiled maybe half a dozen times over it's 22 year run, but on the whole, it leaves me cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
But Abbot and Costello is truly awful and expect it appeals too the same people who like Mrs Brown's boys
Don't understand the love for 'Ms. Brown's Boys' either. That made me laugh even less than 'OFAH' did!!

All the people who are stating how unfunny and poor Abbott and Costello are, have fallen into a huge trap - that of looking at them through 2018 eyes instead of looking at them in a historical context. During the 1940's and 50's, their work on radio film and television made them the most popular comedy team in America, if not the world. They were the highest paid entertainers during WW2

In 1942, Warner Bros.'s Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies cartoon unit produced a number of animated features depicting the duo as cats, named 'Babbit and Catstello.' One of these cartoons, 'A Tale of Two Kitties,' is famous for introducing the character of Tweety Bird to the world

Their routine 'Who's On First' was named as the routine 'best comedy sketch of the 20th Century' by Time Magazine in 1999

and has been parodied numerous times, including (but not limited to) Johnny Carlson, The Animaniacs, The Simpsons and Family Guy. It seems that even Alexa knows the routine

Bud and Lou may not be as popular as Stan and Ollie, or Chaplin, Keaton, Lewis etc, but no one can really take away their place in comedy history

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Last edited by Susan Foreman; 21st June 2018 at 03:40 PM.