View Single Post
Old 12th July 2018, 05:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I may be in trouble here. Recently revisited Alien Covenant and rather enjoyed myself. This afternoon I had fun rewatching a Jaws 3 blu-ray with a couple of beers. Jaws is a franchise where each subsequent film was of a lesser quality - to the point where the last film is widely acknowledged as one of the worst films ever made.

Jaws 3 is a tough film to judge as I have a lot of nostalgia for it, I keenly recall having a great time at the cinema when I was 9 years old. It was nice that my father took me (I loved the original and it's first sequel when I saw them on television). Of course that was in 3D, this bd also has a 3D option and really, that's how it should be viewed (I only have a 2D set).

The film seems much more family friendly with less attacks. 30 years ago, I saw a Sam Raimi interview where he said a thing which I've never forgotten - that a film-maker's worst crime was to make a boring movie. It has to be said that this film is never boring! Blu-ray PQ is pretty darn poor but I'm assuming that is because of the 3D cameras which were used. There's surround sound which was a nice surprise as the cover specifications state 2.0.

Interestingly this has been reclassified as a 12 rather than PG by the BBFC. btw Not sure if this was meant to be an advertisement for Sea World or a warning to stay away! After shark attack, being trapped in underwater tunnels would be my worst nightmare.