View Single Post
Old 15th July 2018, 08:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default For a Few Dollars More (Italian: Per qualche dollaro in più)

For a Few Dollars More (Italian: Per qualche dollaro in più)
Well its been a while,but on a hot sweaty day what could more appropriate than watching a Leone western, with its ludicrously sweaty Mexican bandits, who all seem to be the most ugliest actors the director could have found (no offence to any Mexicans or Italian bit actors, I don't suppose anyone would look there best in close up and widescreen).I think what I tend to forget about this film is how much Lee Van Cleef dominates the movie with his presence and overall charisma, and how Gian Maria Volontè seems intent on stealing the movie from under the noses of everyone else but he just can not seem to get past his rather cooler American co-stars. I mean no one chews on a cigar butt quite as cool as Eastwood does, while having that surly look about them, and all this while wearing a poncho, probably one of the less cool pieces of clothing (along with that horrible sheepskin waistcoat) to ever grace our movie screens. Its a classic, some even say its the best in the trilogy, but ill leave that argument to more intelligent folk, who know what they're on about. It is about as good as your gonna get, it never outstays its welcome which is something I sometimes feel when I watch Leone's Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) and it's not overtly political like Duck, You Sucker! (1971) both are obviously great but nowhere near as lean and mean as his Dollars trilogy. There's no doubt that Eastwood and Van Cleef have a great screen chemistry together, something which is encapsulated by Van Cleef when he copies Eastwood's gun spin back into his holster following the final shootout, much to Clint's amusement as he does a slight double take...German misery guts Klaus Kinski has a hunchback for some reason instead of the usual chip on his shoulder, still makes for a unique cigar lighter....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fofdm.jpg (46.8 KB, 4 views)