View Single Post
Old 27th August 2018, 06:56 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
House of Whipcord (1974)

Starring Barbara Markham as the sadistic warden of an unauthorized women's prison where the female 'criminals' are tortured and abused by the three psychotic staff. Sporting a grimly sleazy atmosphere, House of Whipcord has much to say on the state of criminal justice in Britain, much of which still holds sway today. The film itself is by the numbers and annoyingly predictable, especially one plot contrivance that you'll see coming a mile off, yet it's also needed for we the viewers to see justice in action in a thrilling and tense finale.

Newcomer and former Page 3 girl Penny Irving is fine as the prison's new inmate, but as usual with Walker's films it's the older actresses like the aforementioned Markham and the ever reliable Sheila Keith giving a typical robust performance who steal the show, and for once the lovely Ann Michele has a lot more to do than merely shed her clothes.

The Child (1977)

Extremely oddball chiller about a young girl who raises corpses from the nearby cemetery to do her bidding and slaughter those she holds responsible for her mothers murder.

The first hour is quite slow moving with only hints at whats to come, but it has atmosphere in spades thanks to some innovative camera work, a lot of swirling fog and an eerie score. The final twenty minutes is an all out zombie fest with gruesome gore galore. Laurel Barnett makes for a decent heroine and Rosalie Cole is quietly menacing as the child in question. If any film had the title Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things then it should have been this one.

Weird and very memorable, i liked this a lot.
Been meaning to buy House of Whipcord for a while now after watching Pete Walker's Frightmare which I thought it was excellent. How does it compare to that one, if you've seen it that is?

Last film I watched was The First Purge. Just appalling shit really that I think can only be appreciated by people unaware of when they are watching pure garbage.