View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2018, 03:05 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I think what you have to remember is that Jackie's 64 years old now. There's no way you could expect him to perform action like he did when he was 30. He's had to adapt and become more of an actor like in the films i mentioned. The ones you are basing it on are all western based kids romps whereas Shinjuku Incident is one of the more brutal films he's been in, even in that he's not the Jackie of old he's Jackie the actor.

Another that came out after Rush Hour (just) is Who Am I? For the first hour it's not great but when they get to Rotterdam it's superb with one of the best stunts (the building descent) and the best fight sequences of Jackie's career.
I've seen Who Am I loads, I actually thought it was from just before Rush Hour.

Yeah I can appreciate that once he was well into his 40s he's not going to be able to do anything remotely like what he was once capable of.

I'll give Shinjuki Incident a go, Jackie never struck me as someone who could do much acting other than slapstick comedy type stuff though, even his more dramatic acting in the glory days is a bit ham fisted.

That Dark Blade one doesn't sound promising though lol

I just don't think you'll ever get anyone making martial arts films as good as the ones Jackie, Sammo and Yuen Biao were making in the late 70s to early 90s. All the folk involved in them were different class.