View Single Post
Old 5th October 2018, 12:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Vampire Lovers.

Set in Styria in Austria, Mircalla(Ingrid pitt) is one of the last remaining from the Karnstein family. and manages to get herself invited into the homes of the aristocracy to feast on their daughters.
firstly she stays at General Speildorfs(Peter cushing) home under the alias Marcilla, and before you know it his daughter Laura is suffering from anemia and dreaming of a huge cat biting her. and when after she dies, Mircalla swings a invite to George cole's gaff under the name of Carmilla and starts on his naive and innocent daughter Emma(Madeline smith).

This is a interesting film that began a new direction for Hammer when it was made in 1970, with a much bolder output featuring sex and nudity. and actress Ingrid pitt dosent hold back at all displaying all her natural charms and getting down to a bit of the old lady loving.

THe only thing i don't like about the film is that the great Peter cushing dosent have a major role in the film and is off screen most of the time. But apart from that it is a top notch Hammer film with the usual gothic feel, with spooky castles and graveyards and ladies in and out of their night gowns.

actress Kate omara also co stars too as a governess who falls under Ingrid pitt's charms, who wouldnt? and soon loses her night gown as well.

good film indeed.and i have to say that I like this film a lot and is the first Hammer film I ever saw back in 1981. and I remember recording it on my first ever Vhs tape with dracula Ad.
so this classic Hammer gets 89.5 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-Vampire-Lovers.jpg (45.8 KB, 2 views)