View Single Post
Old 5th October 2018, 01:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Mummy's Curse 1944

I'm not sure what is gonna happen in Abbott and Costello Meet The Mummy (I've never seen any of their work) but I hope its a bit different.

I like the format of these films: at its best we have The Mummy's Hand. But its 3 sequels later and I hope we get something different next time. I liked Curse, certainly more than Tomb, but its getting stale. Now we have another priest: you guesed correctly, trying to bring back Kharis to Egypt.

Why can't we go back to Egypt or another isolated setting like in Hand? with the howling in the distance and sense of being trapped in the middle of nowhere: That was a key part of why that film worked. I can see it now: forget a priest brewing the fluid. How about 5 young people, most of whom are sceptical of the curse, break into the tomb and boil some of the sacred leaves. Again they don't think its actually gonna bring him back but why not? If they're drunk it'd be a fun thing youths like that would do, I would have, especially if its October. Kharis comes back and starts killing them. Put some humour in there, some action scenes, make sure absolutely no priests are present and boom: you have another good Mummy movie that takes an old idea and does something new with it, ditching the repetitive priests in favour of well written new characters.

Its getting old now: the franchise needs a new shot of life. Again, I get that he's hard to kill but the ending...
SPOILER:
We know fire doesn't kill him, so how can I expect a bunch of falling rubble to finally be his downfall?

I hope Abbott and Costello is fun.