View Single Post
Old 31st December 2018, 09:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Bumblebee

I really don't get on with the transformers live action films. I walked out of the second. They're sloppily directed, bloated messes that end up throwing action scenes that make no sense whatsoever in between juvenile frat boy humour and ludicrous characters. So its weird to go see a Transformers film that's actually.... rather good.
It helps that Bay has been replaced by Travis Knight, previously known for animated features like Kubo and Paranorman. He has a clear sense of visual storytelling. For the first time I've actually watched an action scene in a Transformers film and didn't lose track of what was going on. It has characters that felt like well rounded humans especially a great central performance from Hailee Steinfeld. Some nice nods to 80's nostalgia including the soundtrack to the original animated feature making a cameo, posters for The Thing and even a poster for Tom Baker era Doctor who. The script keeps things simple and doesn't bog itself down with lore. You can happily ignore the other Transformers and go see this. Worth taking the kids as well as it genuinely feels like the sort of Sci-fi family adventure you'd see in the eighties. Worth seeing.

Off to see this , this afternoon . From what you have said and others this is what a transformer movie should of been like from the start.