View Single Post
Old 1st January 2019, 11:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Comfortably the best episode of the Chibnall era yet also severely flawed in places.

The Daleks again seem scary, there were some nicely chilling scenes with the Dalek mutant. Although i wasn't keen on the slimline shape of the junkyard Dalek i still thought it was a good idea. I also thought the battle scenes were decent and the Dalek actually killed people - what a nice change to actually have a threat on the show - It didn't bother me that it was defeated using parts from an oven, Doctor Who has often dispatched it's monsters in dumb ways - witness Ace with a catapult and gold coins and her trusty baseball bat for starters.

The episode began well and apart from one or two scenes was a pacy and reasonably exciting story.

However as mentioned it was flawed. Despite the battle scenes being good they obviously didn't have the budget to blow up vehicles so we had aerial CGI explosion shots which let the side down somewhat. Secondly the music was bloody awful. I really don't rate this composer at all, in comparison to Murray Gold, well, there is no comparison. Finally we have the return of Ryan's dad AND THE MOST BORING SCENE IN THE HISTORY OF THE SHOW as Ryan and dad sit in a cafe and waffle, and waffle and waffle. It seemed like it went on for half an hour. I really don't care about their relationship. There are enough shows about broken families, we really don't need it in Doctor Who as well. It completely took me out of the zone and into a state of tediousness.

Still on the whole at least it felt like an episode of Doctor Who.

Even with these flaws this episode was comfortably the best and just goes to show how shite the rest of the series was.