View Single Post
Old 7th February 2019, 09:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
OK.... My ten cents on shameless as they are now...

When they first started issuing stuff in the DVD era their stuff was always worth buying. Their night train murders was a much better presentation than my old anchor bay DVD. They unearthed stuff like Ratman (i like it, don't judge) and footprints on the moon. However its hard to deny something has gone awry with their blu-ray output. Perhaps its budget? they may only have a certain amount of cash to spend on each release. However the market for physical media has changed. These days its a rush to who has the most features, the best transfers ect ect. Some of the decisions lately have left me puzzled.

Cannibal movies. I would also include 88 here. But even a layman would tell you there is no way these titles would get through uncut. The BBFC inevitably are going to cut them and then fans are going to go nuts on social media.

The church. Looks fine. Not much difference to the scorpion one. I've still bought the 2-disc scorpion one though because it has extras.

The sect. Looks fine. But wrong aspect ration and some issues with the transfer. Here the import releases like German and American (scorpion) releases look better. Apparently shameless accepted a scan that other firms took a pass on here.

Almost human. Looks a bit fuzzy perhaps but is this film grain or scanner noise. I've just punted on the code red release on WOWHD for £14 so we shall see.

Torso. Biggest fail for me. No reason to trade in my older Blue underground release as this had no extras or the two different cuts of the film that one had. Bare bones and an awful cover. Then Arrow released a newly upgraded scan and packed with extras. So why bother buying it?

Dellamorte Dellamore. Shameless told me they couldn't get a HD release so DVD only. I ended up buying the Italian blu-ray. Then they announced it. Again. Why bother? Especially with the bad feedback over the release.

So... I'm upgrading most of the titles Shameless released or I never bothered buying them. The only ones I have now are All the colours of the dark (and i'll be getting the severin release once the standard version is out) that looks fine and Strange vice which again looks good to my eyes. I've got case of the bloody iris but we shall see what happens with that as well.

Arrow, Second run, nucleus, indicator... the uk has some great labels. 88 have issues but seem to be improving. Shameless really needs to up its game. Perhaps secure something genuinely obscure but interesting and then crowdfund a professional restoration.
Just a quick question, are torso (arrow us), the church & the sect (2 disc edits) region locked? If they are not, i was going to order from diabolik....thanks in advance!