View Single Post
Old 19th April 2019, 07:06 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
The Time Monster – Episode 1
Jo: Doctor. Doctor. Are you all right?
The Doctor: Oh. Oh, I must have been dreaming.
Jo: I'll say you were. A real pippin of a dream. I've brought you a cup of tea. Do you want it?
The Doctor: Yes. Volcanoes and earthquakes (The Doctor gets up, walks a few steps and hands the cup of tea back to Jo.) Thank you. I enjoyed that.
Jo: Doctor, have you been working all night again? On that? I don't know. What is anyway, a super dematerialisation circuit?
The Doctor: Oh, no. No, that'll have to wait. No, this is far more important. It might make all the difference the next time he turns up.
Jo: The next time who turns up?
The Doctor: The Master, of course.
The Time Monster – Episode 2
The Doctor: Cut the power!
Ruth: I can't. It won't budge!
The Doctor: Then reverse the polarity!
Ruth: What?
The Doctor: Reverse the temporal polarity!
The Time Monster – Episode 3
(The Master is adjusting TOM-TIT's controls as Kronos flies around the radiation lab like an angry albino crow.)
Krasis: What are you doing?
The Master: Reversing the interstitial flow. Now don't interrupt me. I've got to concentrate.
Krasis: You have not the power to control him!
The Master: I shall have, never fear. Just give me time. Now, I must put him back where he belongs.
The Time Monster – Episode 4
(The Tardis dematerialises. The soldiers don't bat an eyelid.)
Farmer: Londoners!
The Time Monster – Episode 5
Galleia: Dalios, listen. I hear strange music. (A Tardis is materialising somewhere.) There it is again. (In the lower right corner of the plaza, a mainframe computer appears.) Look!
Dalios: Guards! (The Master steps out of his Tardis and pushes a trident aside.) Who are you?
The Master: I am the Master. I come as an emissary from the gods.
Dalios: Indeed? Any god in particular?
The Time Monster – Episode 6
Jo: Makes it seem so pointless, really, doesn't it?
The Doctor: I felt like that once when I was young. It was the blackest day of my life.
Jo: Why?
The Doctor: Ah, well, that's another story. I'll tell you about it one day. The point is, that day was not only my blackest, it was also my best.
Jo: Hmm? Well, what do you mean?
The Doctor: Well, when I was a little boy, we used to live in a house that was perched halfway up the top of a mountain. And behind our house, there sat under a tree an old man. A hermit, a monk. He'd lived under this tree for half his lifetime, so they said, and had learnt the secret of life. So, when my black day came, I went and asked him to help me.
Jo: And he told you the secret? Well, what was it?
The Doctor: Well, I'm coming to that, Jo, in my own time. Ah, I'll never forget what it was like up there. All bleak and cold, it was. A few bare rocks with some weeds sprouting from them and some pathetic little patches of sludgy snow. It was just grey. Grey, grey, grey. Well, the tree the old man sat under was ancient and twisted, and the old man himself was... he was as brittle and dry as a leaf in the autumn.
Jo: But what did he say?
The Doctor: Nothing. Not a word. He just sat there silently, expressionless, and he listened whilst I poured out my troubles to him. I was too unhappy even for tears, I remember. And when I'd finished, he lifted a skeletal hand and he pointed. Do you know what he pointed at?
Jo: No.
The Doctor: A flower. One of those little weeds. Just like a daisy, it was. Well, I looked at it for a moment and suddenly I saw it through his eyes. It was simply glowing with life, like a perfectly cut jewel, and the colours... the colours were deeper and richer than anything you could possibly imagine. Yes, it was the daisiest daisy I'd ever seen.
Jo: And that was the secret of life? A daisy [scoffs] Honestly, Doctor!
The Doctor: Oh, yes, I laughed too when I first heard it. So, later, I got up and I ran down that mountain and I found that the rocks weren't grey at all. They were red, brown, purple and gold. And those pathetic little patches of sludgy snow, they were shining white. Shining white in the sunlight. You still frightened, Jo?
Jo: [smiling] No, not as much as I was.
The Doctor: That's good. I'm sorry I brought you to Atlantis.
Jo: I'm not.
The Doctor: Thank you.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty