View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2019, 03:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Rumours circulating that The Faceless Ones may be the next animation.
Good and bad news. Bad in the sense that it means they haven't found any more episodes from it but obviously good as it is a cracking Story and as such a good choice to animate. If I recall correctly, this was where I firmly felt that Troughton became the Doctor. He seems to still be settling in throughout Power of the Daleks, The Highlanders and The Underwater Menace (at first I was actually missing Hartnell in comparison). But he gradually gets there in Moonbase "there are some corners of the Universe which have bred the most terrible things" and in Macra Terror. But by the end of The Faceless Ones, he starts taking effective control and begins playing off the bad guys against each other, before offering to open peaceful negotiations with the aliens. He didn't try and destroy them or get someone else to do it, he showed humanity and forgiveness, which is exactly what I'd expect the Doctor to do.

Regarding missing episodes, if any more have been found, then it remains likely that many of them or all of them will not be from Season 4. Season 4 sold badly compared to a lot of the other Seasons and most of the foreign archives have confirmed they destroyed all the prints. We only have the majority of the Troughton Season 4 episodes we have due to fan efforts in tracking them down, not the BBC. Underwater Menace 2, Moonbase 4 (I think, could have been episode 2, but I think a private collector returned the print), Faceless Ones 3 and Evil of the Daleks 2 were either returned by private collectors or found in car boot sales.

If anything, we are more likely to have episodes from Season 1, 2 and 5. Marco Polo, The Reign of Terror and The Crusade all sold well abroad. As for Season 5, Abominable Snowmen and Wheel in Space were supposed to be with Enemy of the World and Web of Fear when they were found. If anything, Phil Morris has a decent chance of tracking them down if he follows the trail they came from.