View Single Post
Old 1st May 2019, 06:12 AM
Cult Master

Disney Plus streaming site will not offer 'racist' Song of the South film | The Guardian

"When Disney’s streaming site launches in the US in November this year, fans will be able to watch the Star Wars spin-off series The Mandalorian and classic films. However, there will be a notable absence from Disney Plus: the 1946 film Song of the South, which has long been a controversial title for Disney because of how it depicts the lives of African-American plantation workers in the southern states after the civil war."

Also being cut is the original release of 'Dumbo'. "In the original animated version of the film a murder of cigar-smoking crows had a leader called Jim Crow – the Jim Crow laws enforced racial segregation in the south – and are largely considered to be thinly veiled racist caricatures."

'Fantasia' has already been censored by Disney. IMDB states: "For the 60th anniversary DVD, one scene on the Pastoral sequence was digitally altered to remove a black centaurette. In the scene, Bacchus is being lead to his throne, while the black centaurette rolls out a red carpet. The change now makes the carpet appear to be rolling by itself" and it is being suggested that Sebastian from 'The Little Mermaid' and the Siamese cat scene from 'The Aristocats' will also have to go due to their racial steroetypes

Me - I remember seeing 'Song Of The South' when it was broadcast on UK television, back in the 80's. There must have been a season of 'troublesome films' because, unbelievable as it seems now, I also saw the full and uncut version of 'Birth Of A Nation' on tv as well - probably BBC2 or channel 4

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty