Thread: Game of Thrones
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2019, 10:08 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
This shows how entitled some people can be.

A character doesn't turn out the way you want? Live with it.

Someone you don't like is on the Iron Throne? Life isn't fair.

From the beheading of Ned Stark in season one, Game of Thrones has been very clear that things don't go as you expect, bad people triumph and good people die. As Ramsay Bolton observed "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention."

If people are unhappy that Dany has become the Mad Queen, they weren't watching when she burnt Mirri Maz Duur alive in season one, promised "When my dragons are grown, we will take back what was stolen from me and destroy those who have wronged me. We will lay waste to armies and burn cities to the ground" and "I will take what is mine, with fire and blood" in season two.

This summarises the foreshadowing of what happened in episode five very well:

"She firmly believes in the power she will one day wield. She believes that she’s destined to possess it for dynastic reasons and because of her dragons. And she’s not afraid to threaten with the promise of fire if anyone stands opposed to her.

The young leader’s threats eventually become action, and burning people alive is something Dany does in every season of the show. Here are a few examples:
  • In season 1, Mirri Maz Duur — the maegi who pretended to treat Khal Drogo’s wounds, but was actually killing him — burns in Khal Drogo’s funeral pyre.
  • In season 2, Dany’s dragons burn Pyat Pree, the wizard from Qarth who tried to steal them and imprisoned Dany.
  • In season 3, she commands Drogon to burn Kraznys mo Nakloz, the former owner of the Unsullied army.
  • In season 4, Dany doesn’t directly order anyone burned alive. However, her dragons burn (and eat) a little girl, so we’re going to count it.
  • In season 5, Dany marches the leaders of Meereen’s noble houses in front of her dragons as punishment for the actions of the Sons of the Harpy. Only one of them gets burned (and eaten), but the threat remained.
  • In season 6, Dany burns down the temple in Vaes Dothrak, with all of the assembled khals inside.
  • In season 7, Dany executes Randyll and Dickon Tarly via Drogon for not bending the knee to her.
  • In season 8, Dany executes Varys, again via Drogon."

https://www.polygon.com/game-of-thro...ame-of-thrones

Since Daenerys landed at Westeros, she has become increasingly isolated, losing the allegiances of the Houses of Tyrell and Dorne, two of her dragons, the calming influence of Barristan Selmy, most of her armies, her oldest friend and father figure, the trust of her advisers, her best friend, her legitimate claim to the throne, and Jon snow's love. Everyone has a breaking point!
She's been probably psychologically scarred since the beginning, ill treated by her own brother, then being forced into marriage, forced into sex. All the recent events were bound to push her over the edge.