View Single Post
Old 20th May 2019, 10:56 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I finished watching the first season of Nikita last night, a show I picked up as blind buy from Amazon last November, possibly in a Black Friday sale. I'm glad I did because it's very well written, acted, and directed. There are some really well orchestrated action set pieces and it reminded me quite a bit of Alias (a show I highly rate and really enjoy) at times.

I don't think it's as good as the Luc Besson film on which the basic setup is based, but the differences and long form storytelling suit the narrative arc and it's surprising how much suspense and tension is maintained over the 22 episodes. I'll possibly start on the second season tonight.

I've quite recently watched the first two series of Mum on DVD, a TV show I've seen a couple of times and absolutely adore and thought it finished so perfectly that I was sceptical when a third series was announced. After watching all six episodes of the third (and final) series last night, my scepticism was unfounded because it's delightful.

It's not a traditional sitcom, not even a laugh out loud comedy, more of a drama at times (dramady?), looking at grief, family dynamics, and relationships. It's a little like what happen if Mike Leigh decided to make a six part TV show of 30 minute episodes, giving Leslie Manville and Peter Mullan plenty of time in front of the camera to show the importance of silence and physical acting – it's amazing how much effort effect a look can have. These moments remind me a bit of the Chaplin films like City Lights, which are full of drama, comedy, and pathos.

If you haven't seen any of it, all three series are on iPlayer and I highly recommend it.