View Single Post
Old 17th June 2019, 02:36 PM
Cultist

Not done my recent watched films in a while so here goes.

The Evil Cult - 3/10

Utter pish Jet Li film. Once Upon a time in China sort of brought back the period martial arts films but then most of them were utter garbage. This also has the most confusing plot ever, with fu*k knows about 45 characters introduced in the first 10 minutes. Once again Jet does fu*k all but zip about on a wire.

The Raid - 8/10

Somehow missed this when it came out even though every cu*t raved about it. It really is a breath of martial arts fresh air plus its just pure enjoyable violence lol

The Raid 2 - 7/10

No as good as the first and a bit more gangster genre-y but still decent with Rama continuing to batter the fu*k out of folk.

Rumble in the Bronx - 8/10

Brilliant 90s JC that has some genius unintentionally funny bits about. The wee guy that played Danny should have got an award for the shitest acting ever produced, although love the scene where he's essentially pimpin' out his hot sister to Jackie "she's 21 and she's pretty" Although to be fair he puts in a crackin' performance of playing an old Sega Game Gear that doesn't have a game in it through out the entire film. The choreography when Jackie goes to confront the gang in their den is prime Jackie stuff. Also love how like most JC films all the gang members clearly co-ordinate their clothing each day so that none are wearing the same over the top bright as fu*k primary colours.

New Fist of Fury - 4/10

Shite early Jackie film by Lo Wei, who makes you realise his success with Bruce Lee was very much down to luck and Bruce Lee. A really ugly, dull looking film as well. Jackie also looks weird with his pre op eyes and wee shitey moustache.

The Magnificent Bodyguards - 5/10

Average early JC film, lots of walking broken up with some fighting. Decent sequence in a shaolin type temple.

Duel to the Death - 7/10

Classic wuxia film with Norman Chu who's superb in it. Kinda like what all those crappy Jet Li ones wish they were like.

The Defiant Ones - 8/10

2nd great Sidney Poitier film I've watched, going to get a few more. Sidney and Tony Curtis top of their game here. Some brilliant set pieces especially the bit where they are caked in mud trying to get out the hole.

Ace Ventura Pete Detective - 5/10

First I've seen this since I was wee and it doesn't hold up well. Jim Carrey is just annoying as fu*k. Cannibal Corpse scene's as great as ever.

American History X - 9/10

Must have seen this about 30 times, used to be one that was watched when it was on Sky all the time. My favourite anti racism film if you like, although Ed does make a few good points when he's arguing with Elliot Gould at the dinner table. Fairuza Balk is still weird looking and Ed could definitely have found a nicer nazi bird.

Night of the Generals - 7/10

Quality WW2 film with all the stiff upper lip Brits playing nazis. Omar Sharif is the stand out in it, followed by wee Donald Pleasance who never disappoints.