View Single Post
Old 18th June 2019, 05:07 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
Snakedance – Part 1
Nyssa: Is this necessary?
The Doctor: Yes. We must recover Tegan's dream, and simple hypnosis is the quickest way.
Nyssa: But why must we?
The Doctor: Dreams are important, Nyssa. Never underestimate them. Once a man fell asleep, dreamt he was a frog. When he woke up he didn't know if he was a man who dreamt he was a frog, or a frog who was now dreaming he was a man.
Tegan: I'm still possessed, aren't I, Doctor. The Mara from the world of the Kinda is still inside my head somewhere, isn't it.
The Doctor: We'll have to see.
Tegan: But you think so.
The Doctor: It does seem likely. I'm sorry.
Tegan: But where?
The Doctor: Well, obviously below the threshold of conscious thought. I would imagine that when awake your mind is still strong enough to resist, but in sleep it loosens its grip and battle is joined.
Tegan: In my dreams?
The Doctor: Yes.
Tegan: The battle for what?
The Doctor: For control
Snakedance – Part 2
(A ceremonial helmet with a crest of five faces is on a display stand.)
Ambril: Now take this, for example. It dates from the middle Sumaran era and unusually is mentioned quite specifically in the Legend. Oh, there can be no doubt. The reference is to the Six Faces of Delusion. Now count. One, two, three, four, five. You will observe there are five faces, not six as the Legend would have it. Now, my point is this. I do find it quite extraordinarily difficult to take seriously a Legend that cannot even count accurately. Of course, artistically speaking, it's an entirely different matter. The piece is exquisite. An undoubted masterpiece.
The Doctor: What is it?
Ambril: Hmm? Headdress.
The Doctor: Try it on.
Ambril: What?
The Doctor: Try it on.
Ambril: Certainly not. Whatever for?
The Doctor: Please. I want to show you something, then I'll go and leave you in peace.
Ambril: Very well. (Ambril puts on the headdress.) Well?
The Doctor: Now, count the faces again.
Ambril: Do as he says.
Chela: One, two, three, four, five.
The Doctor: And one makes six. The sixth Face of Delusion is the wearer's own. That was probably the idea, don't you think?
Ambril: Get out! Go on, get out!
Snakedance – Part 3
Ambril: Well?
Chela: I've taken him food.
Ambril: He should be grateful. Was there something else, Chela?
Chela: I think he's harmless.
Ambril: Harmless? Of course the fool's harmless.
Chela: He is a doctor.
Ambril: Doctor? Of what? I'm sure the man has no academic standing whatsoever.
Snakedance – Part 4
(Dojjen sits opposite the Doctor, takes a small snake out of his bag and lets it bite his wrist. Then he hands it to the Doctor.)
Nyssa: Doctor, no. What are you doing?
The Doctor: I'm afraid we have no choice if we're to have any hope of saving Tegan.
Nyssa: But its bite could be deadly.
The Doctor: Yes, I do know.
(And he puts the snake to his wrist.)
(Ambril leads Lon, Tanha and a guard through the cheering crowd outside the cave, followed by local dignitaries.)
Dojjen [OC]: No, look into my eyes. You have come this far. You must not now give in to fear. Look.
The Doctor [OC]: It's the poison. The effect of the poison.
Dojjen [OC]: Fear is the only poison.
The Doctor [OC] Fear is.
Dojjen [OC]: Ask your question.
The Doctor [OC]: How, how can, I must save Tegan. It was my fault, so how, how can. Destroyed. How can the Mara? It was my fault.
Dojjen [OC]: Steady your mind. Attach to nothing. Let go of your fear.
The Doctor [OC]: What is the Snake Dance?
Dojjen [OC]: This is, here and now. The dance goes on. It is all the dance, everywhere and always. So, find the still point. Only then can the Mara be defeated.
The Doctor [OC]: The still point? The point of safety? A place in the chamber somewhere. Where?
Dojjen [OC]: No, the still point is within yourself, nowhere else. To destroy the Mara you must find the still point. Point. Point. Point. Point.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty