View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2019, 12:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
HELL FEST – A guy in a mask is doing some slashing at a horror theme-park – some young adults are set up to triumph or die etc. Sorry, I don’t have the energy to put a more imaginative spin on things, it is exactly what it is. Perhaps unfairly, I want to compare it to Tobe Hooper’s ‘The Funhouse’, mostly because one of the striking things about that movie was the gaudy plethora of carnival grotesque on constant display – the same sort of thing is ‘Hell Fest’s best hand IMO. Unlike ‘The Funhouse, which wasn’t all that explicit but had a nicely perverse backstory and a general freakiness to it, ‘Hell Fest’ offers little else beyond its nice visuals. It’s undeniably well made and pacey enough to be diverting, but in the end it’s just the same stuff we’ve seen countless times before. As much as it’s pointless to knock formula when commenting on slasher movies, these days I prefer it if there’s something either outré, just different or even utterly utterly rubbish to get my head around, whereas ‘Hell Fest’, as smooth as it is, just seems to want to get as much mileage as it can out of a very vintage proposition, do an OK job then punch the clock. Worth checking out over a couple of beers, but I don’t think you’ll watch it twice – well I probably won’t, anyway..
Thanks for the heads up on Hell Fest, Frankie. I was going to buy at some point.

Picked another Fright Fest film up yesterday at Asda - Paul (The Seasoning House / Howl) Hyett's The Convent. Goes under the name Heretiks and stars Hannah Arterton, Claire Higgins and Michael Ironside. Have you seen it? Is it awful? I really liked Hyett's other films.