View Single Post
Old 6th July 2019, 03:58 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Atrocious (2010)

Some people think this Spanish found footage flick lives up to it's name but i thought it was really enjoyable.

The bulk of the film, it's a mere 71 minutes, involves a couple of youths exploring the maze at the back of their family getaway retreat because they hear it's haunted by the ghostly apparition of a girl, but when the family dog goes missing events begin to take a turn for the worse...very quickly

Whilst the first half of the film is pretty much the same as any found footage film - introductions and the usual arguments, except the characters aren't annoying which also helps and grievances are relatable, - the second half i found at times incredibly creepy. It uses the Blair Witch idea of having the protagonists outside in the dark, in this case lost in the maze, a maze populated by old statues and seats which catch your eye in the dark making you think something is there giving the shaky cam footage an added dimension i felt, and the maze proved a great environment.

Tension builds well and i genuinely felt unsettled watching the final half hour of Atrocious. If you like the original Blair Witch Project then this might be just up your street.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Atrocious poster.jpg (94.8 KB, 3 views)