Thread: Comedy Film
View Single Post
Old 30th August 2019, 07:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Carry On Screaming! (1966)

How marmite is the Carry on Series,???...I suppose that if you grew up in the 1970's and 1980's,you would have been exposed..(literally) to what seemed like an endless repeat of the Carry on series, ether it was a bank Holiday, or Christmastime, it seemed they were on constantly. Sid James iconic laugh, would be ringing in your ears for weeks like suffering from tinnitus, or maybe it was Babs Windsor's bra pinging off in one of those Carry On compilation shows, that was your ever lasting memory, or should that be mammories.. Still love or hate or loathe them, they were there, a constant reminder that British cinema, good or bad we could always do smutty innuendo...My fondest memory of all the Carry On films, was watching Carry On Screaming!, on a late evening on BBC2,some time in the dark wintery evening, it seemed quite a fitting time to watch this so called parody of the Hammer movies...Im not sure what fascinated me the most, was it Fenella Fielding as Valeria Watt's cleavage, or the fact that Harold Steptoe ( Corbett )was no longer a rag and bone man with a nagging dirty old man, but now a police detective. But probably what stuck in my mind was the two monsters Oddbod and Oddbod Junior..( junior was conceived by mad police doctor Jon Pertwee as Doctor Fettle, electrifying a missing finger from big Oddbod)…Screaming is as silly as the series got, this was well before it got into series sexual innuendo later on, and there is nothing here that your granny could get offended about...Kenneth Williams is in full nasal mode,Bernard Bresslaw as Sockett looks remarkably like a certain character from The Addams Family, then again so does Fenella..There's plenty of familiar faces,Peter Butterworth,Joan Sims,Jim Dale and
Charles Hawtrey ….Its hard to imagine what it might of been like with Sid James instead of Harry H. Corbett in the leading role, for me its one of the enduring films from the series, and one of the few from the series I regularly re-watch...….
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carry_on_screaming_UKquad.jpg (105.2 KB, 4 views)