View Single Post
Old 21st October 2019, 10:22 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 20th

Halloween: H20 (1998)

A good cast, some nice in joke easter eggs and some well done set pieces make Halloween: H20 one of the classier offerings in the series.

A sequel to Halloween II, all further installments are completely ignored, this feels like the real deal, even if it owes a little too much to writer Kevin Williamson's Scream, in fact i'm sure it even nicks musical cues from that film, but with Michael Myers in good form it's easy to ignore those details and just enjoy H20 for what it is - a fine entry in the Halloween series.

Hell Fest (2018)

One of that small group of films set in theme parks (The Funhouse, Dark Ride, I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer - are all i can think of just off hand). This slasher about a group of young people who visit a Halloween carnival and end up stalked by a masked wearing serial killer was an unexpected surprise.

Unexpected because i'd seen as many negative comments regarding Hell Fest as positive, if not more, and i really enjoyed it. The whole thing looked so damn good. The Hell Fest was a fabulous place, all gaudy, day-glow colours - no running around in pitch black darkness here folks - in fact it's quite Argento like in it's use of colour and felt fresh and original - with a reasonably likable cast to root for and a couple of really well done practical murder set pieces. It only let itself down because there simply weren't enough deaths which was a real pity, but on the whole i thought this was excellent.

A film that felt like a genuine 80's slasher.