View Single Post
Old 26th October 2019, 09:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Dredd. My third viewing of this i think, but first one for a few years. Karl Urban is brilliant as Judge Dredd of Mega City 1. He takes out rookie Judge Anderson for a trial 24 hours to see if she makes the grade after she fails her exam by a 'few percentiles'. She's given an extra chance because she's a psychic and Dredd is told to throw her in the deep end. Well, Anderson chooses a crime scene - Peach Trees mega block. Big mistake as a drug war is going on and Ma-Ma (Lena Headey) is pushing a new drug on the unsuspecting city.

Then Dredd and Anderson get there and all hell breaks loose. Great adaptation of the spirit of the comic strip, if not too deep on the politics, and both leads, as well as Headey are good. One of the best lines of the film come at the end after the two judges walk away from the liberated building where possibly hundreds have died. Dredd's superior asks him what happened and he just deadpans - "Drugs bust."

Spookily similar in both story and execution to another film released in 2012 - The Raid, which i would also recommend.