View Single Post
Old 27th November 2019, 12:52 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
In a way I'm surprised you still bother with The Who, Susan seeing as there are only two of them left. It doesn't bother me that you do, i'm all in favour of bands carrying on to keep the name and music alive but you have certainly taken exception in the past to other bands performing when original members dwindle.

It's not a dig at you, but a genuine question.
Well, we have had our ups-and-downs in the past!

I liked them as a four piece, and as a live act no other band came close to them, but I think their last two albums were very hit-and-miss. 'The Who By Numbers' is (with the exception of the quirky 'Squeeze Box') a very dark album, while 'Who Are You' has three great songs - 'Sister Disco', 'Guitar And Pen' and the title track - but other than those is a very mediocre album

I thought TED (Townshend, Entwistle and Daltrey) were an incredible live act, but the two albums they released - 'Face Dances' and 'It's Hard' - were abysmal

Now we have TD (or maybe it's DT) and I thought their only (to date) album 'Endless Wire' was unmemorable. To be honest, I forget the last time I played it. From what I have heard from the new album, however, it seems like a return to greatness, and I am looking forward to listening to it

I do think that the name 'The Who' should be retired. It certainly isn't the same band anymore, but I admire anyone who can keep going after 50+ years in the music business and continue to sell out arenas and stadiums

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty