View Single Post
Old 17th January 2020, 10:26 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
i don't buy them but i've seen a few when i used to watch anything with subtitles in my younger days on BBC2 or Channel 4. To be honest, probably at first, because there was always a good chance of some body getting their kit off . However, it did lead me to a deeper appreciation of world cinema and I still occasionally attend a screening at the local arthouse cinema although not as much as i'd like

i'm not sure how films by world renowned filmmakers can be described as oddities? It's us that are are buying the oddities

these are great releases for the cineastes. and clearly sell enough for Arrow to keep interested in making them available.
I'm not privy to the sales figures, but it's a pretty safe bet that Arrow was happy enough with the performance of Kieślowski's Dekalog (already into its second edition) to take a punt on these - and it's obvious from today's online reaction that they can also look forward to quite a few Poles importing them, as their editions are drastically inferior (completely barebones 1080/50i transfers), assuming they're even available at all - Arrow's Camera Buff appears to be a world BD premiere.

And yes, these aren't remotely "oddities". Granted, they're nowhere near as famous as Dekalog or the Three Colours trilogy (and realistically never will be - they're too Polish, too political and too indivisibly linked to what was happening in Poland at the turn of the 1980s, which the extras will hopefully help clarify), but Kieślowski is still a huge name in European cinema, and so the box will get plenty of coverage for that reason alone.

As for people getting their kit off, Blind Chance and No End are your best bets.