View Single Post
Old 4th February 2020, 12:20 AM
Cult Addict

MV5BMjQ2MTIyNjM2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDE3NDMyNjM@._V1_.jpg

Right so the new Suspiria,

Ok it's never gonna be the lighting in the bottle that was the original but i like the new film alot.
It's oddly arthouse, it takes it's time and does its own thing but keeps the general idea intact.

In some ways this new version makes more sense than the original, ( face facts the original Suspiria is totally style over substance. filmmaking.. ) dance has always been part of the witches ritual, and it puts that at the forefront.

What i respect about the new film is that it spends 2 hours of film building up an art house serious vibe then spends 10 minutes in total sleeze/ blood.

I like that.

The volk soundtrack song kinda reminds me of the Goblin soundtrack in it's dissonance.

I don't know, this is the second time watching this film and i think it deserves some kind of respect for not just being a shit remake, i think it was made out of respect for the original and the filmmaker knew it was never going to be the same so said screw it.

In my opinion it's a good film in itself and should be judged on its own terms.
It's not perfect but it's certainly not the film you would expect and if you give yourself over to it as it weaves its own spell.

It expands on the original idea and in some ways channels the "Inferno" witch at the end and the orgiastic finale of "Mother of Tears" but better, the thing is if Argento even got close to making a new film as competent as this we'd all be spanking the monkey.

I like it.

8/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 4th February 2020 at 03:39 PM.