View Single Post
Old 7th March 2020, 08:56 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Been busy and still am so don't really have time to analyse the last episode in detail. Whilst it was entertaining, i'm really at odds with the twist. No, not the bit about the found child being a girl or that the Doctor will have unlimited regeneration's: that was always something that needed sorting out to take the character into the future. My beef is with the retconning of the Doctor's motivation to leave Gallifrey. There was something noble and poetic about the Doctor being a renegade who escaped a stifling existence. The idea that he/she had always been an unwitting agent of the Time Lords takes all that away and frankly is insulting to the 'buy in' that fans had to the series. Yes, I know the renegade stuff was retconning in itself but at the end of the second Doctor's run, the Doctor was still mysterious enough to have a past sketched, and at least then, the writers were good enough to come up with something that added to the legend rather than diminishing it.

I was going to give each episode a mark out of ten but that would be too depressing. I can't help thinking the series desperately needs new writers and ones that are steeped in the history of Who rather than jobbing hacks. One more season of Chibnall to endure , than hopefully a renaissance?

Good job you put the question mark there. The question I would pose would be, what renaissance would that be exactly.