View Single Post
Old 8th March 2020, 12:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
well quickly and personally:
  1. have a full season of two part stories, that are standalone and without a season story arc. perhaps go back to when the Doctor couldn't always accurately control the Tardis and therefore ended up in unexpected places.
  2. does the threat always have to be universe wide? lets have some localised stories. DW works best when in an enclosed environment with a limited number of characters.
  3. let's get some horror back in. my favourite two seasons Tom Baker S2&3 were very horror tinged and drew on famous horror literature for inspiration.
  4. go back to just one (maybe two) companion(s). having 3 makes them compete for equal screen time and stalls the stories.
  5. reset the Doctor's character back to what it was i.e. someone curious, didn't know everything, someone who values life but definitely not a pacifist.
  6. take out the PC lecturing. if the story has a 'message' let it live within the story instead of koshing the audience over the head with it.

i'm sure there is more but that will do for starters
Though I agree with you on some of those points, unfortunately great damage has been done to Dr Who. A re-boot of Dr Who just won't work, because that is what you would have to do. Dump Parody Who, and ignore every single story (if you can call them stories) and re-start afresh. The BBC just wouldn't do it. I would love to see Jodie Whittaker's time as Parody Who number 13 gone, totally ignored and washed away, but judging by what has recently been said by the BBC, that will never happen.

No matter what anyone says Rob4, Dr Who has been destroyed. It's legacy wrecked, and left many, many people exceptionally unhappy at the current state of Dr Who. The BBC isn't answerable to the viewers, and the BBC seem to carry on regardless no matter how bad Parody Who has become, because this is more about pushing social change messages than delivering a quality show. There's no going back from this now. Unless the BBC admit what they've done to Dr Who, it's fate has been sealed. All of this concerns me greatly. Merchandise sales are down.

The American market has all but dryed up, and the BBC just carry on as though it doesn't matter one bit. And yet, when Dr Who was just beginning to improve in the late 1980's, the BBC shunned it completely. Says a lot about what's going on in the BBC, and the thinking behind Parody Who. The BBC would've axed this show in no timetoday, had their not been deliberate social change message(s) added into the mix.

A demonstration if you will, of open propaganda to change hearts and minds, but its failed, and in the process, its actively destroyed a legendary BBC show with a great pedigree for classic TV sci-fi.