View Single Post
Old 8th March 2020, 01:46 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Though I agree with you on some of those points, unfortunately great damage has been done to Dr Who. A re-boot of Dr Who just won't work, because that is what you would have to do. Dump Parody Who, and ignore every single story (if you can call them stories) and re-start afresh. The BBC just wouldn't do it. I would love to see Jodie Whittaker's time as Parody Who number 13 gone, totally ignored and washed away, but judging by what has recently been said by the BBC, that will never happen.

No matter what anyone says Rob4, Dr Who has been destroyed. It's legacy wrecked, and left many, many people exceptionally unhappy at the current state of Dr Who. The BBC isn't answerable to the viewers, and the BBC seem to carry on regardless no matter how bad Parody Who has become, because this is more about pushing social change messages than delivering a quality show. There's no going back from this now. Unless the BBC admit what they've done to Dr Who, it's fate has been sealed. All of this concerns me greatly. Merchandise sales are down.

The American market has all but dryed up, and the BBC just carry on as though it doesn't matter one bit. And yet, when Dr Who was just beginning to improve in the late 1980's, the BBC shunned it completely. Says a lot about what's going on in the BBC, and the thinking behind Parody Who. The BBC would've axed this show in no timetoday, had their not been deliberate social change message(s) added into the mix.

A demonstration if you will, of open propaganda to change hearts and minds, but its failed, and in the process, its actively destroyed a legendary BBC show with a great pedigree for classic TV sci-fi.
I don't buy that it's legacy is wrecked.

How does something on screen in 2020 wreck the quality of a story like Genesis, Androzani or The Underwater Menace?

Answer, it doesn't.

You seem to be really wound up over recent events in Who whereas i really don't care, it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of stories from Doctor's 1-12. There will always be Doctor's / era's that an individual fan doesn't like as much as the rest and we are going through one of those times now and i am one of those disappointed by the direction taken. However the last episode was a week ago now so i simply ignore events i don't like.

As for me i'm really looking forward to seeing the animated Faceless Ones in a couple of weeks and then The Underwater Menace later in the year. Or is their legacy so tainted i shouldn't bother with them?

As for merchandise sales being down, how do you know?

The 5" figures released by B&M last year sold really well as will the newly released ones.

Character made a blunder in the late Smith era by changing the figures from 5" scale to 2.75" so they could be played with along with figures from other brands such as Star Wars. It was this range that didn't sell, all the 5" figures released since have performed well.

As for other merch i really don't know or care how well a Jodie Whitaker t-shirt sells.