View Single Post
Old 22nd March 2020, 05:07 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Saw Watch Your Stern on talking pictures the other day. It stood out to me because it starred most of the Carry On cast but wasn't a carry on film. Having done a bit of research it appears that both the cast and crew were the usual carry on lot, but it isn't considered (obviously given the title) an official film of the series. It's pretty poor to be honest, but it got my interest for the aforementioned reason. Kenneth Connor gets to dress up in costume a lot and try out accents, Sid gets to use his trade-marked laugh and Leslie Phillips gets to be, well, Leslie Phillips. On the girls side we have a game Hattie Jakes suffering the indignity of being accused of being a man dressed as a woman and Joan Sims seems to be in proto-carry on mode, as I feel she was still honing her craft in this film. It would be a few years before her old battle-axe routine would come to fruition.

Bonus dialogue from Carry On Cleo...

Julius Caesar (Kenneth Williams) thinks he's been stabbed and is laid on a couch. Calpernia (Joan Sims) worries and fusses over him.

"Oh, Julie, Julie, you look a little wan"

Her father Seneca (Charles Hawtrey) "He looks like a big one to me!"
I saw this was on. Meant to give it a watch but forgot.

Same with The Wolves of Willoughby Chase on Friday and the Stephanie Beacham interview which followed.