View Single Post
Old 28th March 2020, 10:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default American Flyers, Student Bodies & New Jack City

Nothing on TV whatsoever that caught my attention so I did a triple bill.

American Flyers

When Video Magic opened it's glorious doors in the mid 80's that was when I started to become film crazy and one of my earliest memories was reading the magazine that the shop produced which detailed which movies were coming out that month along with description and a picture of the cover. American Flyers has the title and cover which gives me nostalgic memories. However I never rented this movie and during the 90's heyday of Woolworths, WH Smith, Virgin Megastore, HMV and MVC, I never saw the video available to buy nor when DVD'S came into play. Even today, for some reason I can't seem to find it anywhere even the cult labels like Arrow, 88 Films and 101 Films haven't released this. Come to think of it, I've never seen this on come on any TV or Satellite channels (Even the obscure movie channels like Movies 4 Men or Talking Pictures) For a Kevin Costner movie, it's one of those where films where it's disappeared completely

However I bought a (Guessing an import) DVD from Amazon, which had a lame cover (Not the one I remember vividly) and watched it today. I feared that it would be 1 of those films that was going to be good in it's day but in 2020, it wouldn't be as good however regardless of a slow start, I found this to be a thoroughly entertaining film. If I had watched it in the 80's, I think it would be 1 of my all time favorites. I'm guessing the UK Rental release had cuts because it was a PG back then and the version I watched certainly had some scenes (Nudity) that would have made it a 15 back then.

Student Bodies

I recently moved house and treated myself to a Blu Ray player. Another reason was because 88 Films and Arrow were releasing Blu Rays of films I wanted. I picked this 1 up in a sale. I must admit I enjoyed the beginning, it started drag on at the end and considering it was 85 minutes, that's not a good thing. Maybe I would have a different opinion if I had watched it 1st in the 80's instead of today.

New Jack City

This is 1 of my all time favorites, it has fantastic acting which if this was released this year, I believe that it would be up for Oscars for Wesley Snipes (Best Actor), Chris Rock (Best Supporting Actor) Mario Van Peebles (Best Director) as well as Best Film. To Be Honest, it should have been up for Oscars when it was eligible

Seen this many times