View Single Post
Old 7th April 2020, 05:18 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Top Ten Films for someone to self isolate with.

Casablanca (1942) The greatest and most quotable film ever. Superb performances from a stellar cast and covers several genres from classic romance, super cool noir and war movie. When Laszlo demands the band play La Marseillaise... well if that doesn't twist your heart strings then i fear your isolation has failed and you've f*ckin' croaked already.

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - Probably my most seen movie over the years. The definitive action / adventure film. Remains thrilling forty years on.

Dazed and Confused (1993) - In my opinion the ultimate high school comedy. And whilst your in isolation i may as well educate you in the best classic rock has to offer.

Land of the Dead (2005) - I'm not here to depress you whilst isolating so Night of the Living Dead and Day of the Dead are no-no's. I do want to entertain you though and I love Land of the Dead. It's one of my go to movies when i want cheering up as it has a bit of everything. Action, violence and gore, comedy, thrills, scares, Dennis Hopper and a big f*ck off battle truck called Dead Reckoning.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) - Another film which fits many categories. Obviously it's a western but it's also a tremendous character study with fabulous performances from Clint Eastwood (Along with Bogart, Monroe, Cary Grant and Harrison Ford, another screen legend), Eli Wallach and Lee Van Cleef. At 160 minutes plus it takes a while to watch too.

North by Northwest (1959) - Arguably the greatest film by the greatest director with a fantastic performance from another screen legend in Cary Grant. Again it's a genre hopping masterpiece which is suspenseful, gripping, boasts iconic set pieces and is beautifully filmed by Alfred Hitchcock. As with Leone's score for The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, Bernard Herrmann's music takes this movie up a whole new level.

Some Like it Hot (1959) - A laugh out loud rom-com that's eminently watchable. Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon are on top form. just a delightful film.

The Dark Knight (2008) - As much a crime film as it is a superhero film. Christopher Nolan's masterpiece is grounded in reality and Heath Ledger gives a stellar performance among a top notch cast. Thrilling, gripping, involving and at times scary. Although it's not my favourite superhero movie it's the one i'd recommend to someone.

Jaws (1975) - Just in case you're desperate to get out of the house and to the beach, Steven Spielberg's classic movie should have you putting your Speedo's straight back in the drawer. A fantastic film with a superb trio of actors in lead roles. As iconic as any film ever and you'll still jump at certain scenes.

The Devil Rides Out (1968) - A personal favourite. Not the best horror film ever made, but it is a film i totally love. The devil is tremendous and under stated (thankfully), Christopher Lee gives an arguably career best performance and it's British, and i really wanted one British film on this list. Sorry Withnail and I. You were my second choice.

Movies not listed in order of watching, simply as i thought of them.