Thread: Comedy Film
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2020, 05:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Blockheads

Blockheads.
Blockheads starts with Stan and Ollie fighting in the trenches of France towards the end of the first world war. Ollie is ordered to go over the top with the rest of the platoon while Stan is left to guard the trenches no matter what...Of course Stan not wanting to disobey orders keeps gaurd for another twenty years,not knowing the war is over until he nearly shots down a French pilot,who then explains to Stan the war is over.. Ollie and Stan are reunited when Ollie sees Stan's photo in the newspaper. This has a fairly slow start,and unusually the duo are kept apart for a good ten minutes at the start..So it's not until the pair are reunited that the gags starts kicking in..The first one being that Ollie thinks that Stan has lost his leg in the war and needs help,of course by the time Ollie realises his mistake,any of the sympathy he had for his long lost pal has soon gone...There are some great moments including the usual face off with James Finlayson which ends in the usual punch up. Also look out for Harry Earle's from Tod Browning's Freaks...The story seemed a little unusual,and didn't seem to go anywhere,also the scene's with Billy Gilbert as a returning big game hunter,went on a bit to long, for my liking.Not my favourite from the duo , probably could of done with cutting down on the non laurel and hardy scenes, but there is still plenty to enjoy,my favourite moment being when Ollie gets into a fight and Stan runs around telling everyone there's gonna be a fight, like an excited school kid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51PnTIFKmFL._AC_.jpg (51.5 KB, 2 views)