View Single Post
Old 30th May 2020, 04:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I agree with some of the recent sentiments on this thread. It is a shame that so many films are given multiple releases over multiple formats whilst so many others haven't seen the light of day in the digital age.

Arrow have released some interesting stuff over the past few years, and I'm thankful for their releases of things such as Stray Cat Rock, Yakuza Law, Orgies of Edo, Wolf Guy, the Larraz set and American slasher films, but they also seem to be releasing more recent mainstream titles that I would't even buy in a sale. I'm thinking of the forthcoming release of Pitch Black as a good example. Could you imagine Vinegar Syndrome, Mondo Macabro, Powerhouse or Severin releasing Pitch Black?

When you think about just how many gialli, poliziotteschi and Italian horror films that were made in the '60s and '70s that haven't been given any kind of English-friendly digital format release, it seems to me that there is a very deep well from which to draw. I realise that the availability of existing masters or the cost of transferring from film elements and then restoration are significant hurdles, but I do wish that more of these films would see the light of day.