View Single Post
Old 1st June 2020, 06:21 AM
Cultist

From the pioneers of ZFE, The Beyond and The Burning comes... Pitch Black! Arrow have certainly changed alot over the last 10 yrs. I always check this thread to see your opinions on new releases, but Pitch Black has tipped me over the edge and inspired me to post!

The problem arrow face is just competition. When they started they were the market leaders, now 10 other companies are in on the act. Worse still, companies often secure global distribution, cutting Arrow out. I recently bought Raw Force and Death Machines from Vinegar syndrome as I gave up hope of them ever getting an Arrow release. They are region A/B/C so presumably vinegar syndrome have worldwide distribution.

The result is that Arrow are becoming mainstream to try and stay afloat. Candyman, Waterworld, American Werewolf and Robocop are all mainstream offerings. This is not a problem in itself if it keeps them afloat. But their niche offerings are increasingly modern film festival pick ups which I have little interest in.

They still come up trumps from time to time (White Fire is surely their best in years), but this is becoming less frequent. I also wonder if they are obliged to release things that are substandard to secure other titles. Why all the Nico Mastorakis? You want Trapped Alive? Here have Chill Factor. Desperate for The Child? Well you have to take Hitchhike to Hell. This could all be baseless speculation, but i sense Arrow are being led less by what they want to put out these days, and more by whats about/ they have to put out.

I wouldnt buy Pitch Black. But I would buy Gymkata.