View Single Post
Old 6th June 2020, 01:28 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Currently into the third series of 2 Broke Girls.

It quickly settled down and gained an ongoing story line whilst keeping the laugh out loud smuttyness. No swearing whatsoever but it isn't in the least bit family friendly. One of those rare shows which keeps it filthy without resorting to swearing - the mark of good writing in my opinion. I really didn't expect to watch all three series of a sitcom back to back. That's unheard of round these parts.

I wasn't convinced adding Jennifer Coolidge to the cast at the tail end of the first series was a good idea but she's brilliant. Her on/off/on relationship with diner chef Oleg is a highlight as are the put downs to diminutive Asian diner owner Han.

However it's not a show that's racist at all, well not to me anyway. Certainly racial stereotypes are used often but not aimed at one person, everyone get's hammered, be it rich white girls, poor city girls, east Europeans, Asians, the Kardashians... The only one who seems to escape is the diner's cool cashier Earl, played by the brilliant Garrett Morris (Unless being a cool old former jazz musician is a stereotype), oh and Chestnut, the horse.

There's good use of pop culture throughout which may well date the show in years to come but who cares when Kat Dennings name checks Slayer and Black Sabbath as favourite bands, along with Missy Elliott.

2 Broke Girls isn't a show for the easily offended (About three quarters of Twitter users) but i find it frequently hilarious.

Jennifer Coolidge, Jonathan Kite, Kat Dennings, Beth Behrs, Garrett Morris, Matthew Moy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 105175_d_0897be_35101af3 (Medium).jpeg (91.6 KB, 36 views)