View Single Post
Old 9th July 2020, 08:04 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Interesting. Britannia. Use to buy tapes from them. Do you remember Bensonworld based in London. Back in the early days they use to sell brand new rental tapes for 60-80 pounds a pop. Then they went to selling retail and finally DVD. I think the company went bust. You were lucky enough to work in the VHS industry.

I ended up working in HMV in Truro when it opened in 2003. Now it's downsized and ended up in Pydar Street in Truro. It's the closest I got to working with physical media again. There's tapes I still have in my collection from those days when I use to travel to HMV in Guildford back in the 1980's.

The prices of tapes in HMV in the mid-1980's was crazy. They often had those Warner big box tapes that were re-issues for £14.99 and then quite a few ex-rental titles that had only been used three times, then they would be sold in HMV or Virgin. I remember buying Return of the Jedi Crocodile Dundee and the first RCA/Columbia release of Krull. Some of those tapes cost about 35 to 50 pounds each. Insane days, considering back then there was no retail market for VHS tapes until 1986.
The last time I was in Truro must have been last year or even the year before and the HMV that I'd been on previous occasions had closed - makes sense - Plymouth relocated to a smaller premises too - I guess we should be grateful that they're still trading.