Old 17th July 2020, 05:54 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
I split his filmography into 2.

Part one: his first 3 films
Part two: everything he's made since.

Out of part one, my favourite is Pulp Fiction but Jackie Brown is probably his most mature and natural film but that would still come in 3rd. Reservoir Dogs in second.

But, if I include scripts written not just directed, True Romance would be number 2 and From Dusk Till Dawn would be number 1. haha

Out of Part two, Django Unchained is my favourite followed by Kill Bill Vol.1, Inglourious Bastards, which literally has nothing to do with the original, then Once Upon A Time In Hollywood followed by Kill Bill Vol 2 and then Hateful 8 and finally Death Proof.

The reason I split his career is because those first 3 directed movies feel so incredibly different to everything after them, from Kill Bill onwards they all feel like movies that would exist as movies The dogs, Jules & Vincent and Jackie and Ordell would go and see in the cinema. They have no basis in reality even if some are based on real events such as WW2 and 1969 Hollywood.
That's a really decent appraisal of his ouvre, P. And splitting them in two and saying the films from the second part of his career are what the characters from the first half would see is genius! Right on the money and certainly not something I'd have thought about until you mentioned it.

I guess another distinction between those two halves is that while the first three films were saturated with pop culture references they weren't as in-your-face as they are in those from Kill Bill onwards - some of it REALLY takes you out of the film and given that Reaps mentioned Death Proof that's a good place to start - the incidental music cues were a massive problem for me because their placement--even in that spectacular car chase at the end-- really took me out of the film because they brought back memories of the films he'd stolen them from! There are way too many different pieces of music in that one sequence and it's really distracting the first time you see it.

Would have to agree with Nos about DP being his worst film too. Another of my criticisms is it's way too long and there's far too much inane talking between the girls and a lot of what they say seems forced and it's not organic, like it's been thrown in because it's a signature requisite of a QT flick. I have grown to like it, despite its flaws. The Grindhouse cut is the one to watch as it's a fair bit shorter and addresses some of my concerns with dialogue, etc. Funny thing is I prefer the standalone release of Planet Terror - there's just no pleasing some people, eh?